Wednesday, January 19, 2011

And we're off! Also, meet Yvette and Kelvin

Marc in full yogasity.
'Sup, y'all!  Last Sunday was Golden Globe night, but it was also more importantly the YeRROw YeLLow weekly meet.

Our second meeting, and we started out with a BANG.  Or rather, a yogasm.

That's right, as a warmup we started off with some yogatastic moves from company member Marc delaCruz as a warmup.  It was awesome.  Challenging.  And...yogatastic.  Whew!
 
After getting our bodies aligned and chakras in order, we got right into the theme of the week: Gender Benders Each YeRRow member chose a song usually performed by the opposite sex, and sang it in front of the company.
  
Amazing talent, creative juices and some general hilarity all around made for some good times.  More photos from our meeting are up on our Facebook page, so check them out.

In the upcoming weeks, we'll be posting some getting-to-know-you questions answered by members of our company, chosen completely at random (with assistance of a little Chardonnay).  This week, we're like to introduce you to Yvonne Same and Kelvin Moon Loh:




1) Name?  
Yvonne Same, pronounced "saw-me" like "You 'saw me' in the show and the magician wanted to 'saw me' in half."

2) Where were you born?
Los Angeles, CA

I mean, where are you from?
Los Angeles, CA

Like, really from.
Los Angeles, CA


Ok, where are your parents from...
Outer space

or your grandparents...
Oh, The Philippines.


 3) Shoes on or off at home?
Off, so off.  Shoes on is so rude.


4) What made you decide to be an actor?
Vicki the Robot - I wanted to be on TV, and that was my favorite show EVER.  I figured if the Lawson's could adopt a robot, then their neighbors could adopt an Asian.

5) What was your very first role?

Ngana in South Pacific.  I was 18, no joke.

6) Who/what inspires you and why?
Margaret Cho because she's fearless, Montgomery Clift because he truly loved the art of performance (and was way hot), and Lucille Ball because she knew who she was and never apologized for it.

7) Theater or theatre?
I go to the theater to watch theatre?  Does it matter?  I used to care.



8) How many times have you been in 'Miss Saigon'?
3.5, if you count the concert version I mounted with my cousins when I was 16.

9) What's your dream role/show?
I want to be Panch in Spelling Bee.  Omigod, so bad.  Since that will never happen, I can't wait till I get to play Bloody Mary in South Pacific.  CAN.NOT.WAIT

10) Any tragic flaws?
I'm overly self-critical.
I love cursing.  LOVE IT.  But only when necessary.
I look for any excuse to bring my dog everywhere I go.

and since all good things go up to 11:

11) What's one random thing you'd like us to know about you?

I have a burning desire to be a stand up comedienne.  We'll see.








1) Name?
"Shit Starter"
Kelvin Moon Loh

2) Where were you born?  I mean, where are you from?  Like, really from.  Ok, where are your parents from...or your grandparents...
I'm actually an immigrant!  First generation...what what!    I share similar initials to my place of birth:  Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  My parents had older siblings that moved to New York City in the 80's.  They got jealous and brought my brother and I over at six months old.....so I'm practically a New Yorker through and through.  I've moved 20 times since, but only from borough to borough.

3) Shoes on or off at home?
Shoes OFF!  And properly put away in the shoe closet.  My mother would smartly advise that there are a lot of dogs out there and it is not appropriate to track their "tracks" into the home. 

4) What made you decide to be an actor?
I think it's always been in the stars for me.  I remember making my acting debut in a third grade play.  The role:.....Martin Luther King, Jr. (My mother and I spent an entire afternoon at Macy's picking out the perfect suit and RED power tie!!!)  Thank goodness Mrs. Summerville existed.  She was a pioneer in color-blind casting.   Who said the New York City PUBLIC school system was good for nothing?!?! 

5) What was your very first role?
Geez.....perhaps I should learn to read ahead in questionnaires...  Well, my first musical theater role was Ching in the revival version of Anything Goes.  I love the musical theater stage and always will.  I, in fact, did NOT audition for this production but was selected out of the 7th grade chorus, being the ONLY Asian boy singer.  For those of you who know the show, you know that Ching has a brother Ling.  I was cast first, then a Caucasian boy, Dan D., was cast to match my height and stature.  He performed Ling in full YELLOWFACE!!! They tanned his face with foundation, they pulled his eyes out with eyeliner.....NO ONE thought this was weird.  Oh, the things I didn't know!!!

"Dan D. in YELLOWFACE....only because I apparently ATE the original actor playing my brother."
6) Who/what inspires you and why?
Other Aquarians, Douchey Straight Guys, and Oprah Winfrey.  I would say that marijuana inspires me a lot, but my mother would be mad.  I would say that my vision board inspires me, but The Secret would sue me.  Ultimately, anyone with an open mind and an open spirit inspires me.  And not hippie dippie openess but rather uber leftist radicals openess.  I love people who could be considered "shit starters".  Even if you don't agree with their actions, it forces me to re-examine my beliefs and actions and challenge or champion them by reacting with the same intensity!

7) Theater or theatre? 
Broadway.  Theater or theatre doesn't exist..... only Broadway.

8) How many times have you been in 'Miss Saigon'?
Three!  Denver, Houston and Salt Lake City.  Man, did the Utah locals love those Vietnamese prostitutes!

9) What's your dream role/show? 
Albin, La Cage Aux Folles.  The only reason I look forward to middle age. 

10) Any tragic flaws? 
I'm into trends and fads.  I loved Tomagouchi.  I did Atkins.  I was a RENThead (fad that never faded).  I own a Bender Ball.  I have SillyBandz, the princess pack.  It's an expensive flaw but perhaps it can be interpreted as:  Kelvin is easily entertained. 

and since all good things go up to 11:

11) What's one random thing you'd like us to know about you? 
I am a borderline HOARDER!!!  My ultimate collection:  Broadway memorabilia.  Playbills, show cards, ticket stubs, sheet music, t-shirts, double disk cast albums.  I cannot throw out any Broadway memorabilia.  I consider it sacrilege.  Wait.....You asked about one thing random about me?  .....Oh right, I'm single. 


That's all for this post, y'all.  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment