Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Meet Brian and Alison

Working together.  It's what we do.
Some exciting stuff on the horizon for the Yerrows.  Like, really, REALLY exciting.

We're working out the details right now and will let you know more once they solidify.  Promise, pinky swear, and all that jazz.

In the meantime, meet two more company members:  Brian Jose, and Alison Lea Bender!





1) Name?
First name Brian.  Last name Jose... often mistaken as my middle name.  It's not.  Jose is truly my LAST name.  You hear that, drug store clerks, check in table workers, restaurant hosts and the like!  I KNOW my last name!  Don't question me!

2) Where were you born?

In a hospital?
 

I mean, where are you from?
Oh... you mean like Indianapolis, Indiana?
 

Like, really from.
No really, I'm from Indianapolis, Indiana.  I know it's a hard concept to grasp... Asian folks in cornfields.  But there we were... and there were others!  Mwuuahahahaha!
 

Ok, where are your parents from...or your grandparents...
 OK, I'll stop being cheeky.  They're from the Philippines.  I just used "cheeky" in a sentence.  Deep down I really think I'm British.  I'm such an anglophile!

3) Shoes on or off at home?
I never wear them at home, though I really could care less if people wear them or not when they come to visit.  I'm not a shoe nazi.... and besides, someone might want to hide their ugly socks or keep their foot odor problem to themselves which is fine by me!

4) What made you decide to be an actor?
I saw the PBS broadcast of Stephen Sondheim's Sunday In The Park With George when I was in grade school and I was transfixed!  It was my first exposure to musical theatre and Sondheim and it's message of balancing life and art spoke to me at such a tender age.  On the flip side, I was also obsessed with the Star Wars films and used to pretend that I was Luke Skywalker on road trips.  I would recreate the movies in my head and pretend that the highway signs were At-At Walkers that I needed to destroy!



5) What was your very first role?
In preschool, I remember doing a presentation of "My Favorite Things" from The Sound Of Music.  I was assigned to be one of the "brown paper packages tied up with string".  Years later I would recreate that role for the premiere of the Sing- A- Long Sound Of Music here in NYC.  I had a strategically placed package, lederhosen, and a two foot headdress made out of brown paper packages.  My photo made it into Entertainment Weekly that week... a proud moment!

6) Who/what inspires you and why?
Cirque du Soleil shows for their artistry and athleticism.  Oprah Winfrey and Paulo Coelho for their endless wisdom.  And young performers for their bigger than life dreams and determination.
 
7) Theater or theatre?
Please.... THEATRE!  I am British, after all!

8) How many times have you been in 'Miss Saigon'?

7 different productions.  I've played all the Asian male parts one can play in that show... with the exception of Tam, the little kid.  Talk about an incredible role... the audience favorite, don't have to blow a vocal chord, and final bow!  Here's hoping I finally get to play that role in production #8!

9) What's your dream role/show?
I would really still love to play Angel in RENT.  I moved to NYC because of that role.  I even scrapbooked my first experience auditioning for it.  OMG... that's so Midwest and theatre geeky of me!

10) Any tragic flaws?

Is this a trick question?!?  Aren't all Asians supposed to be PERFECT?  At least, that's what Amy Chua says!  Doh!

and since all good things go up to 11:

11) What's one random thing you'd like us to know about you?

 I like to wear fake glasses.  I mean, I don't need them to see.  I have several pairs of "character" glasses to give myself a different look.  I even had them when I was a kid... round ones like Charlie Chaplin.  Is that weird?







1) Name?
Alison Lea Bender


2) Where were you born?  I mean, where are you from? Like, really from. Ok, where are your parents from...

I was born in Toledo, Ohio. Grew up in Bakersfield, California, Orlando and Seminole Florida. Mother is from Korea and Father is from The Bronx! Such a mixed kid.

3) Shoes on or off at home?
Off, but warm fluffy socks are a must!

4) What made you decide to be an actor?
This is going to sound absolutely awful. I was forced into musical theater summer camp when I was twelve. I came home from the first day with a lead role so I thought, "Hey, I guess I can do this." At that age, I liked to sing and really liked applause and when people told me how talented I was. So shallow. As time went on and I started going to performing arts high school and doing more shows, I learned to love my art and developed the passion.

5) What was your very first role?
Adelaide in Guys and Dolls (Bratty, twelve year old Alison wanted the role with the most lines and I BOOKED it!)

6) Who/what inspires you and why?

My friends and family who constantly remind me how lucky I am to have my gift. They shower with me with so much honesty, love, and support. Who would ever want to quit with all that backing you up?
 

 7) Theater or theatre?
I'll take either, really.

8) How many times have you been in 'Miss Saigon'?
Once and I'm sure there's more in my future.



9) What's your dream role/show?
Hands down: Elphaba in Wicked!

 



10) Any tragic flaws?
I am really hard to read at first. Some might say mysterious. I get really aggravated when I can't have something. I turn into this WEIRD person. I am a dork at heart. And a diva. I am a people pleaser. Because I am well liked by many, it bothers me A LOT when someone doesn't like me. Not a good thing to be bothered about when I make my living as a performer.

and since all good things go up to 11:

11) What's one random thing you'd like us to know about you?
I'm in love with skirts and dresses... and purses... and accessories. I plead guilty to being a girly girl.
 

 That's it for this week.  Stay tuned in the upcoming weeks for more!  In the meantime, check out some more pics from "Wild Card Day" up on our Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment