Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Meet EJ and Jay

March comes in like a LIONPlans are still percolating!

While we keep you in suspense, meet two more talented members of our company, EJ Zimmerman and Jay Paranada:

1) Name?
EJ Zimmerman
 2) Where were you born?  I mean, where are you from?  Like, really from.  Ok, where are your parents from...or your grandparents...
I was born in Seoul, Korea, and raised in Towson, Maryland. My parents are from Ohio and my last name is Zimmerman. Modern American family, ladies and gentlemen.

3) Shoes on or off at home?
Off! I love to buy shoes but hate to wear them.

4) What made you decide to be an actor?
I've been a musician for as long as I can remember, and have always loved to sing. That brought me into musical theatre, which brought me to acting in general. But as to actually deciding to make my living as an actor? I don't know what could have been going through my head. Whatever it was, it's apparently still going through my head.

5) What was your very first role?
Does belting "Tomorrow" along with my record player at my window at age 5 count? No? Then Jan in Grease my junior year of high school. I wore a midriff shirt and pretend-ate hamburgers the whole show.

6) Who/what inspires you and why?
I am inspired by any and all striving to make their living as an artist because it takes so much dedication and courage. I am especially encouraged by artists who strive to break down barriers and believe in the seemingly impossible. Art can change the world, dude.

7) Theater or theatre?
Theatre! I'm fancy.

8) How many times have you been in 'Miss Saigon'?
Four. And I've shared the experience with some of my best friends. And I would do it again! Anyone casting?

9) What's your dream role/show?
Dream role will always be Annie. I may have missed the boat, but a girl can dream. More realisticly, I'm waiting to Mazeppa in Gypsy.

10) Any tragic flaws?
I can't snap :-(











1) Name?
Jay Paranada. I know, I know, my last name translates to for nothing in Spanish. (I'm not Spanish.) Growing up, friends called me bueno which translates to good - so I am otherwise known as Good For Nothing. A definite self esteem booster! I also respond to anything remotely similar to Paranada. Panda, Piranha, Paranoia... even the newly minted Para-nads.

2) Where were you born?

Seattle, Washington.


I mean, where are you from?

Kent, Washington. 25 minutes south of Seattle.
 

Like, really from...
I rarely respond to repetitive questions that end in preposition.

Ok, where are your parents from...
 The stork?
 

or your grandparents...
that's not a question.

3) Shoes on or off at home?

I like being barefoot, so you'll generally find me shoeless at my own home.

4) What made you decide to be an actor?

Truth be told, acting sort of just happened upon me. As to tie together my inter-web, electronic footprint, learn my full "coming of age" story by visiting www.jayparanada.com and hit the Biography button. Ooohhh... shameless self promotion #1 already, and we're only on question # 4. 

5) What was your very first role?

When I was in 2nd grade, I was an elf in my school Christmas pageant. I had one line. "But Santa, we need to save Christmas!" I wanted the role of Santa Clause, but it went to my arch nemesis, who will remain nameless because we are The Facebook friends... and I wouldn't want to jeopardize that friendship over something so petty like a Holiday school program. I did, however, add my own flair to the costumer's design... a very long piece of ribbon on my elf hat so that I could "stand out" from the rest. I will never apologize for being a scene stealer.

6) Who/what inspires you and why?

People who live, breathe, cry, yell, laugh and speak their passions. Shit starters. Movers. Shakers. People who have an opinion and aren't afraid to express it thoughtfully, provocatively and proactively. And people who make the most of their one wild and precious life (a nod to Mary Oliver's quote). These are the people who inspire me for the sole reason that they live their lives presently in the moment, as opposed to living a life that isn't fully actualized.

7) Theater or theatre?

Or.

8) How many times have you been in 'Miss Saigon'?

Twice has been so nice. My first being with Coeur d'Alene Summer Theatre as the true villains of the show, Club Owner and Assistant Commissar. Please consult me via email (jay@jayparanada.com) <-- bam, self promotion #2 and discover my dramaturgical reasons for why they are the true antagonists of the show. And I've had the pleasure of playing Engineer at the Count Basie Theatre with Phoenix Productions.

As an interesting add-on... I did not grow up listening to the Saigon soundtrack. It never graced my ears until I was actually in the show, not while dreaming to be part of it. I guess you could say that my reality transformed into a decidedly dormant dream come true. (Ummm... who says decidedly dormant dream come true? Apparently, me. I do not apologize for being a whimsical and grammatically gifted nerd.)

9) What's your dream role/show?

Princeton on Avenue Q, closely followed by a chance to create a role under the pen of William Finn.

10) Any tragic flaws?

Not a one. These perceived "flaws" are what makes me, me. Take that, negative question #10 in the bud!

and since all good things go up to 11:

11) What's one random thing you'd like us to know about you?

I like crying. On command. Or while watching sappy movies. I crave those remarkable, post-tear endorphin induced feelings. I guess that means I'm a bit masochistic?


And although I have layers of sarcasm and spunk on the exterior, deep down I'm really friendly and genuinely take interest in people and why they do what they do. They might even make my infamous status updates via The Facebook. While I'm on the subject, do me favor and follow me on Twitter and friend me on The Facebook will you? (kidding. kidding).



Until next we meet...YeRROw YeLLow OUT!
 

1 comment:

  1. Are you looking for free Instagram Likes?
    Did you know you can get them ON AUTOPILOT & TOTALLY FREE by getting an account on Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete